LIVING WITHOUT BOOBS DOESN'T MAKE YOU LESS OF A LADY, BUT MORE OF A WOMAN!... ( WITH BETTER BRA'S)

Sunday, January 26, 2014

"Removing My Puppet Strings"



My third (and final) breast cancer surgery was the most frustrating of all, not only because of the mastectomy but also because of the confusion and emotional trauma associated with the operation.  To add to the high level of anxiety, the doctors had no answers to my many questions, such as, "When would the nausea and vomiting stop?" and "When will the numbness in my left arm, chest and side disappear?"  I did not get  concrete answers to my questions.  Instead, I was told why I should not be experiencing the side effects that were preventing me from leading a normal life. It was even suggested that I receive psychiatric attention because, perhaps, my pain was self-perpetuated.  

Emotionally, I felt as if I had been pushed into a corner.  Nobody would listen.  Instead, I was offered a variety of medications, each one causing my symptoms to worsen. Then I decided to take a stance: I was no longer going to be treated as if I was a puppet. I chose an alternative treatment plan, that includes seeing a Tibetan doctor.  My current team of alternative practitioners listen, and are committed to my full recuperation.  

"Removing My Puppet Strings"
by
Sandra Fernandez-Henderson
01/26/2014

"I was treated as if I was not real,
like a puppet that does not feel
pain or emotions.
They would bring
me meds that made me sick.
I was like a puppet on a string
who had no voice
or choice
on how my body would heal. 
They treated me as if I was not real.
They tried to convince me I was out of my mind,
when in fact they could not find
a treatment plan to ease the pain
so I could feel wholesome again.
Sadly, they shook their heads
and treated me like a puppet who was not real.
They said what I needed was a shrink,
that the pains and symptoms were
made up in my head.
I expected them to be compassionate,
wouldn't you think? 
Yet they pushed me to the brink
of almost giving up hope.
But I regained my hope and
hung onto my Faith
as I saw that flicker of inner light
that gave me the strength to fight
back. 
I cut the strings from the selfish puppeteers.
I set forth on my journey to find a cure
and no longer endure
needless pain.
I survived, and am here today
to share with you my story...
that there is a way to recovery
that will set you free 
from the disease
and the strings of the puppeteer."



 Sandra Fernandez-Henderson 01/26/2014
 

No comments:

Post a Comment