LIVING WITHOUT BOOBS DOESN'T MAKE YOU LESS OF A LADY, BUT MORE OF A WOMAN!... ( WITH BETTER BRA'S)

Monday, November 18, 2013

The Doctor Was "Clueless" About This Sign!



I lost my best friend, Leah, a very intelligent woman who was a nurse, in August 2008 to cancer.  Her signs began with an unusual growth, the size of a pea, on her right leg. The test results showed the tumor was malignant, stage 1.  After it was removed my friend decided to forgo radiation and chemotherapy.  She felt safe from future occurrences.  Sadly, in less than four years, the disease had returned, and within three months of the diagnosis, she died.  Before her death she talked to me about signs to look for.  Leah cautioned me that if I ever found an unusual growth on any part of my body, especially if it was painful to touch, that I should seek professional help quickly. 

In September 2009 I detected an unusual-looking growth, similar to a skin tag, near my left arm pit.  The growth was painful, and stung whenever clothing touched it.  I remembered Leah's advice, and I made an appointment with my HMO that week.  

The assigned physician was as frigid as the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz when I shared with him my concern about the growth.  He looked at it, remarked that it was probably caused from the bra, and dismissed me. I was appalled when he said, "This is flu season, and I'm very busy.  I can't believe you made a same-day appointment for a simple growth, that's obviously just some excess fat." to which I replied, "Doctor, the flu or a cold can easily be cured, but NOT cancer.  I lost my best friend to cancer 12 months ago, and it started with a small growth.  She was in the medical profession, and prior to her death, she shared with me some warning signs of the disease."  

The physician expressed his condolences over the loss of my best friend, and existed the examination room.  I felt stunned.

I complained to the Staff Administration.  Of course, they defended the physician. I didn't receive even an apology.


Eventually, the tiny growth shriveled up and fell off, yet I kept a watch on the area. Within a few weeks I noticed my body felt a bit "off."  I scheduled a pap smear and a complete physical.  The doctors reported that I was in perfect health, yet something kept gnawing away at me.  I couldn't quite pin-point it, but an internal "red flag" signaled me to request more tests. 

I spoke to my OB/GYM, and expressed my concerns. She authorized a series of tests. The results showed I had no reason for concern; however, deep inside I could sense that my body was preparing for a battle.  My body became very dry. I was constantly thirsty.  I began craving foods that are high in antioxidants. I sensed danger. 

My primary care physician ordered a breast sonogram because the results of my mammogram were inconclusive.  The technician could not detect any lumps; however, she did see what appeared to be a small "shadow."  The radiologist was unable to read the results, and he ordered a biopsy on my left breast.  

A week later I received a call at 8:15 p.m.  It was the radiologist who informed me that I had a malignant tumor. Surgery was scheduled within three weeks. 

It took the medical team almost six months to detect the tumor. 

I thought about the warning sign the primary care physician had overlooked in 1998. Again, I reported the incident to the hospital administration.  I was told there was no correlation between the growth that appeared months prior and the malignant tumor.

I believe the medical staff was incorrect.  I personally believe the body gives signals whenever something is wrong.  Unfortunately, the doctors did not take me seriously. 



No comments:

Post a Comment