LIVING WITHOUT BOOBS DOESN'T MAKE YOU LESS OF A LADY, BUT MORE OF A WOMAN!... ( WITH BETTER BRA'S)

Sunday, September 8, 2013

The 12 Chihuahua Method



In July 2011 I met with the Social Security Disability medical team to determine if I should be awarded permanent disability status. My application was denied because it hadn't been a full year since the operation (3rd major breast cancer and one re-incision), and the medical staff concluded that my long-term effects would eventually dissipate and that I could return to a regular office job. 

I did my absolute best to remain employed, but with each passing month, my body seemed to grow weaker, until finally in April 2012, after passing out (again) on the job and vomiting severely, I decided to apply for State of California Disability. That process went smoothly. The same month I reapplied for Social Security Disability benefits, and in August 2012 I met with another disability medical team. The psychologist and internist were both thorough with their questions and examination. I explained that life, as I once knew it, has changed drastically. Gone are the days of hiking, water skiing, traveling via airplane, working out at the gym, gardening, mowing the lawn, being my fix-it guy in the house, vacuuming, mopping the kitchen floor, driving long distances ... a few limitations. With the encouragement of the disability doctor, I learned how to re-invent myself (for a third time) using, what he explained as, The 12 Chihuahua Method. I already have a wonderful chihuahua, Rocky Balboa Henderson, my BFF of four years. Here's what I added to my list:

  • Blogging: I share my cancer survivor experiences on this site. It truly helps release the emotional frustration and physical pain. When I receive responses, it feel as if somebody is truly listening.
  • Bingo: This is a great diversion, whether in a group setting or online. Weekly, I join a local bingo group. The prizes aren't very big (only $20 - $32), but focusing on the numbers helps draw attention away from any discomfort I might be feeling. And whenever I do win, it feels like a million!

  • Bunko: I joined a Red Hat Society Bunko group, and each Bunko round is filled with hysterical laughter. Janet, the leader of the group, and I had commuted to San Francisco for several years via the ferry. After we both were laid off our jobs, we lost track of each other, but via the Red Hat Society, we have been reunited. At one Bunko event Janet and I were laughing so hard that somebody actually asked us if we were drinking alcohol! Janet explained that she and I love life to the fullest, and that includes laughing to hysteria.
  • Baking gluten-free pastries: This last operation created complications in my stomach and intestines. Gluten-free products are easier for digestion. I watch WAPA television from Puerto Rico, where there's a program dedicated to gluten-free cooking. 
  • Beading: I found an amazing bead store in Napa. Haven't designed anything yet, but the beads are tucked away in my jewelry box for a "rainy day."
  • Boating: Gone are the white water rafting days, but I do enjoy the tranquil ferry rides to San Francisco. I look back with the fondest of memories on my wild rafting days.  The rapids weren't as dangerous as the "time out sessions" my boyfriend and I would have in the middle of nowhere. These days I meditate and focus on healing myself while riding the ferry. The tranquility of no cars, no traffic jams and no smog is very soothing to the mind and body. 

  • Babysitting: I offer to occasionally babysit for my younger friends' smaller children. As Art Linkletter best described, "Kids say the darnest things."
  • Belly dancing: I have more belly than I'd like to admit. I have a collection of cd's from my earlier years, and Amazon has helped me add to my collection. I combine the Middle Eastern moves with my Puerto Rican, Dominican, Afro-Cuban, Polynesian, Greek, Israeli and Far East Indian rhythms to create my own unique fusion. (That's a picture of me when I was 26 years young.) 

  • Bollywood dancing: I have several friends from India, and they showed me some of the Bollywood moves. My focus in on the eyes, not my "boobs."
  • Be Me: Allow my inner self to shine via writing, creative cooking, adding the brightest of colors to my wardrobe, wearing unique wigs. It doesn't matter what others think of me; their opinions are none of my business. What is important is that I accept and embrace who I am.

  • Burlesque: A niece invited me to her opening night. She told me to be open-minded.  I laughed so hard, and as you know, laughter is one of the best "medicines." Burlesque is more of a celebration of life rather than the traditional "bump 'n grind."  I've met some wonderful friends in this unique community. I've been asked to perform because of my eclectic dancing background ... not sure if I'm up for that. 
I hope you found my 12 Chihuahua Method useful.  Have fun creating yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment