LIVING WITHOUT BOOBS DOESN'T MAKE YOU LESS OF A LADY, BUT MORE OF A WOMAN!... ( WITH BETTER BRA'S)

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My High School Friend, Pam




I recently attended my high school reunion, and the one person I wanted to see the most, Pam, couldn't attend.  She has full-blown Multiple Sclerosis, and resides in a residential care facility.  Pam contributed to the high school  bio book with an update and a recent photograph.  In spite of the disease, she continues to radiate beauty. 

In high school Pam was bubbly, patient, extremely kind, very loving and compassionate.  Her laugh was contagious. To learn that she is debilitated was truly heart-breaking news.  She was diagnosed around the same time I underwent my initial breast cancer surgery.  

Pam included her phone number in her bio with a request that her classmates keep in touch with her. This week I called to say a brief "hello".  An hour later we were wrapped up deep conversation about life's surprises.  Pam's speech has somewhat deteriorated; her voice is somewhat monotone, and she slurs some of her words, yet she still retains that unique sense of humor. She'd periodically remarked, "That was supposed to be a joke. Why aren't you laughing?" or "Didn't you think that was funny?" 

During our conversation, Pam did not complain about her life. I asked her about the food at the facility, and she replied, "It could be a lot worse. I could be in a starving country and have nothing, or I could be in prison and have real nasty food."  She did mention that she salivates for a steak and baked potato, and hopes one day her wish will be answered. 

Her husband has alzheimer's, and lives with relatives.  Pam said she is fortunate that he remembers her, and that she has many uplifting memories of their years together. She reminisced about their magical times: their first date, their first kiss, and the night he proposed. "God has blessed me with a real prince.  I did have the fairy tale marriage.  We had it all." 

Pam shared how she spends her time: in prayer, watching game shows, working on crossword  and word-search puzzles, and reading.  In spite of her limitations, she shared how blessed she continues to be.

Then the focus of the conversation turned to me.  Pam was truly devastated when I told her about my three major cancer surgeries and the re-incision. Her heart poured out, and I was truly humbled when she said, "Honey, I'll be praying to God for you.  I feel sad that you have endured such rough times."  That's the Pam I knew in high school: rising above her problems to be there for her friends. 

After we said our "talk to you later", I reflected on our conversation most of that day and night.  Talk about humbling!  No matter how difficult a day I may have because of the pain, inability to drive that day, limited use of my upper body, etc., it is nothing compared to the conditions that Pam faces daily.   

I am hoping that before year-end my body cooperates so I can drive to visit Pam, and surprise her with her favorite meal: steak and a baked potato. 

Each night I thank God for re-connecting me to a wonderful angel.  God bless you, Pam!


No comments:

Post a Comment