LIVING WITHOUT BOOBS DOESN'T MAKE YOU LESS OF A LADY, BUT MORE OF A WOMAN!... ( WITH BETTER BRA'S)

Sunday, September 7, 2014

What you don't know may hurt you.



Divorce can be a very devastating experience, especially when children are involved. My parents were divorced when I was a toddler. My mother remarried when I was 3 1/2 years young.  Eventually, I was told that my dad was not my birth father.  I asked about my biological dad, and the response I received was, "You're better off not knowing him." 

Eventually, I sought him out.  Why?  Primarily, for health reasons.  When I was in my mid-twenties I had a few concerns.  My physician needed to know my family health history. She could not make an accurate assessment without knowing my complete family background.

Finding my biological dad was easy; we lived in the same city and his address and phone number were listed in the telephone book.  I remember hearing his voice for the first time.  My hands trembled; I hung up the phone.  Luckily, my Godmother, who was a long-time friend of my Grandmother, set up a time for us to meet.  That encounter wasn't monumental, rather it was somewhat  awkward and cold.  For the next 25 years we did not develop a relationship; there was no bonding; however, I was grateful to learn about his and his family's health issues.  

At the age of 52 he almost died from a severe heart attack.  At an early age he became diabetic.  Knowing this, I paid close attention to my nutrition plan.  I monitored my heart rate.  I exercised routinely, and maintained a healthy weight.  

In 1999 my body developed very unusual symptoms: craving of antioxidants, being overly thirsty, buzzing in my ears, very dry facial skin, unusual odor.  There was an unusual, almost metallic, taste in my mouth. For seven months I insisted that the HMO conduct a series of tests to determine the cause of these unusual symptoms. Eventually, biopsies showed I had breast cancer.  The routine mammogram incorrectly concluded that all was fine; there was no sign of cancer.  It was my persistence that saved my life. 

The 2000 operation was successful.  I began the routine treatment.  Ironically, on the last day of my radiation therapy I received a call that my biological father had passed away from colon cancer.  The following day my mother called to tell me she was diagnosed with breast cancer.   I was stunned: both parents with cancer.  Ironically, both parents had heart issues and were diabetic. 

I am grateful that I was persistent in finding my biological father.  Knowing his medical history has helped me be proactive with my health.  I combine nutrition, exercise, a healthy lifestyle and alternative medicine to maintain a healthy heart.  I am proud to announce that I am a 14 year cancer survivor.  Life is one major adventure.  I am grateful to be alive and healthy. 

Remember this:  Hiding the truth can be deadly. 



No comments:

Post a Comment